No Peanut Butter For You, Nine Months!

Back in our younger years, Renaissance Man I liked to take in a Seinfeld or two. You know, the TV show. We have all kinds of inside jokes and phrases that we use in our family now due to our viewership. One of our favorites comes from the “Soup Nazi” episode.ย  In this show there is a soup restaurant run by this very temperamental store owner. If you ask him too many questions, he bans you from buying soup from his restaurant.ย  He has the best soup in town, so everyone does their best to not irritate him.

Take a look at this:

So, what does this have to do with peanut butter? Not much really. It’s just that with my fight against candida overgrowth, the Candida Nazi, has said I’m not to eat peanuts. So, I’ve reluctantly obeyed and not had a peanut in 9 months. And I tell you, I miss it sometimes. Why no peanuts? Mold. Plain and simple. Peanuts usually have mold on them. I know. You can’t see it. But apparently it’s there. And with candida, mold is a no-no. That’s why aged cheeses are out too. Since candida is a kind of fungus, it would do very well with mold.

And really, I’ve been just fine without my peanut friends. Until recently. You see, my good friend Chez Misty wanting to encourage me, told me about this wonderful Peanut Butter Cups recipe she found on Naturally Knocked Up.ย  She said I could make them with almond butter. She was definitely speaking my language. Apparently, I needed chocolate that day because I made up some cups right there on the spot while on the phone with her.ย  Chez Misty said she liked hers best with peanut butter, but that she also enjoyed them with almond butter. Ugh. I did like them with almond butter, but Misty’s preference was still swirling around in my head, and I couldn’t let it go.

So, what is a girl to do when almond butter just won’t cut it? Sunflower seed butter. I remember reading that ‘Sunbutter’ has a very similar taste to peanut butter. Oh, boy. Does it ever. I whipped up some homemade sunbutter in my Blendtec in just a few minutes and I was in heaven. Yes, I ate copious amounts of this butter. Mmmmm. Oh, Mama. Delicious.

Now having my apron full of the right tools, I was off to make my own rendition of something that makes my mouth sing. Oh, yes. It is that good.

Kathleen’s Sunbutter Cups

(sugar free)

1/2 C unsalted butter (you can use salted butter or coconut oil)

1/2 C Cocoa Powder (I use Wonderslim– it’s caffeine and fat free)

1/4 C xylitol (Chez Misty uses 15-20 drops of liquid stevia)

a pinch or two of salt

In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in xylitol and mix until dissolved. (This step takes a bit of patience. Xylitol doesn’t dissolve quickly) Stir in cocoa powder until you have a pretty smooth product. In a mini muffin pan (you could use a regular muffin pan too for larger cups), spoon in a bit of chocolate mixture into each cup. I fill them about 1/4 full. Stick this pan into the freezer for 4-5 minutes. Take out when the chocolate is solid.

While waiting for the chocolate to firm up, mix:

1/2 C sunbutter (homemade or the sugar free kind at the store)

7 drops of liquid stevia

Now place a dollop of sunbutter on your frozen cups. Stick back in the freezer for another 5 minutes. Or you can be like me and not wait. ๐Ÿ™‚

Once you have the 2 layers firmed up, you then begin to spoon in the remainder chocolate. You might have to reheat your chocolate at this point if it has hardened up in your pan. Spoon as much chocolate as you want over the top of the sunbutter. Now, I did have some sunbutter and chocolate left over. This was not a problem for me. I just dipped spoonfuls of the butter into the warmed chocolate and ate it right off the spoon. You could just put more chocolate on top of your cups if you wanted.

Did you know Sunbutter has 30% less fat than peanut butter? If you are trying to lose weight and can’t stand that lowfat peanut butter stuff, try Sunbutter.

Here’s how to make your own Sunbutter: click here Prudent Baby. Of course, where these instructions say to add sugar, I just added a few drops of stevia.

If you make some, let me know what you think.

Yep, I couldn’t wait..I had to eat one.

This entry was posted in Food, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to No Peanut Butter For You, Nine Months!

1. Rachel says:

Oh man, those look so good! I’m so proud of you to sticking to your diet! I admire your creativity and am so glad that you’re finding great options. So glad to see that you blogged today too. ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Dawna says:

Thanks for the encouragement to continue to try new things on this wonderful and weird path we are on.

3. joan porter says:

Wow, do you ever have will power. I’m proud of you and frankly these do taste pretty darn good.

4. Dad says:

When do we get to try one? Love, Dad

Dad,
    I’ll make some more for Christmas and you can try it out. Mom tried one at Music Man’s party.

Hey, we’ve got to help each other out when we can. We weirdos have to stick together.

Thanks, Rach. It’s Christmas break, so I’ve got some time to finally write. It feels good to be back.

8. Connie S. says:

I was reading your posts backwards…thanks to Google Reader…and saw your comment about the new family member…Mr./Ms.Blentec lol. I saw a guy demonstrating one at Costco the other week. I fell in love with what all it can do. Don’t have one yet…but when I do…the possibilities appear endless. Have fun with yours ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Jen says:

Kathleen, you continued to me a happy woman. I just stumbled onto your whole arsenal of blogged recipes and since I am a peanut butter cup freak, this one is a definite “must try”, as are probably most of them. I have a quick question about the xylotol. I have Xylosweet (a specific brand of xylotol). I know that with stevia, anyway, that there are different variations and, therefore, the quantities change. Does the Xylosweet brand of xylotol work with the same measurements in your recipes? I’m guessing they do since my creme brรปlรฉe turned out loverly.

I’m not entirely sure if I’ll make or buy sunbutter, but my brand new-just purchased online-food processor will be on my doorstep on Monday and I will IMMEDIATELY be making cashew butter with it. I’ve been dreaming of this moment for some time and I think Cashew Butter Cups might be a perfect thing to create with my first batch. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I might, however, also venture into the world of sunbutter, since you said it tastes similar to peanut butter and I do so enjoy the taste of peanut butter.

Jen,
    I just put that recipe page together today with you in mind. I thought, okay, Jen’s going to want some recipes and she needs a place she can find them all. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m not familiar with Xylosweet, so I just googled it. It appears that it should be the same sweetness as the brand I’m using. So, I wouldn’t think you would have to do any careful measuring. Just be careful…Xylosweet is made in China and made from fruits and corn instead of birch bark. And I know you are probably laying off the corn and fruit right now. I would double check with your naturopath to see if they think it’s okay for you. Check out http://www.xylitolusa.com/ for the brand I’ve bought before. Now I get my Xylitol from Azure Stadard (5 pounds for $22.90).

Okay, I am super jealous that you get to eat cashews!! Do you know how many fabulous things you can make with cashews? Go to spunkycoconut.com …she makes milk out of hers, and ice cream. But I would double check if these are legal for you yet. My naturopath is pretty forgiving on some things that others are strict about, but she gave me a definite NO with cashews. I highly recommend the sunbutter, but I hadn’t had any nut butters, except almond butter, for a year. I think I may have forgotten what peanut butter tasted like and so the sunbutter was fantastic. Not many others who can eat peanut butter have agreed with my sunbutter revelations. If you find you’re not too fond of it, you might find after your tastebuds change, you will.

Keep the questions coming. I love it.