From Scratch

Learn how to make Chicken Stock. When you find out how easy it is, you'll laugh.

There was a time not long ago when women made all their food from scratch. You know, they made it themselves. They made cakes with flour and sugar, not from a box. They baked their own bread and churned their own butter. Okay, the butter is a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea. In our society today, we have so many fabulous conveniences, (I gotta say, I LOVE my refrigerator and I ain’t givin’ up my washing machine for nothin’), but there are some things I long to learn how to do myself. I’m curious about how to make my own mayonnaise or bar of soap.

Now, I realize you may not share my dreams, but there are a few things you might be interested in knowing how to do because you’ve heard it’s much cheaper than buying store bought. And for you, I dedicate this series, “From Scratch”.

For the next 5 weeks, every Wednesday, I’m going to bring you to my kitchen and show you some easy “From Scratch” items that you can use in your cooking every day of the week. You’ll be amazed at how simple each of these will be.  And your budget will thank you.

Here’s what I’ve got planned:

How to Roast a Chicken

How to Make Your Own Chicken Stock

How to Cook the Most Delicious Brown Rice

How to Make Beans Without a Can

How to Make Cream of Chicken Soup

So, go round up your apron. I’ll see you here next Wednesday for “From Scratch…Roast Chicken”.

This entry was posted in Food and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to From Scratch

1. Dawna says:

Are they all going to be gluten free? Please! Can I come watch and be your photographer and you can be in the pictures.

2. Misty says:

What a great series, so great to demystify things that once you do it you realize just how easy it is!

3. Traci Katz says:

I’m looking forward to the cream of chicken soup recipe!

4. Traci Katz says:

Oh, and by the way, any tips on how to know how much stock to pour into the quart jars so they won’t !!BREAK!! in the freezer would be much appreciated!!! My last batch is mostly a wash due to breakage. SO SAD…

5. Joan Porter says:

Great idea! I look forward to this series. Don’t ever call me Martha Stewart again.

6. bridget rodgers says:

How are the cooking classed going with the boys?

7. Rachel says:

Yeah! I can’t wait!

Dawna, you bet you can be my photographer. Maybe you can get some better pictures than I can in my dark kitchen. 🙂 Oh, and yes, they will all be gluten free, but then most of them are naturally gluten free…no special ingredients needed.

Misty, yes, you did so much demystifying for me. It is thanks to you that I know how to roast a whole chicken and make stock. Thanks, friend.

Traci, I just did some research on the whole freezing stock in glass. Most people say you need to leave a fair amount of head room and to not use anything larger than a quart jar. One gal swears that pint jars are the way to go. I don’t know about you, but that would be a lot of jars in my freezer. If you do use quart size jars, I guess the narrow mouth ones are the safest to use. Apparently, the trick is to refrigerate your stock 8 hours or more before freezing. If I find out more, I’ll make sure to talk about it that segment of “From Scratch”. Great to have you along for the ride. And by the way, you are the one who inspired me to make my own brown rice.

Mom, sorry, you still will be Martha Stewart. You’ve not only got the great cooking, but the presentation as well. The fact that it’s pretty gets you lots of Martha points. 🙂

Bridget, it’s going well. Music Man gets to choose from the Gourmet Cooking Class list of foods to make each week. So far, he’s stayed away from the more complex meals, but sooner or later, he won’t be able to escape. He did BBQ some awesome hamburgers a few weeks back. This week he’s making hard boiled eggs. I see egg salad sandwiches in our future.

10. Wendy says:

Looking forward to the series. I’ve never made my own chicken stock and have always wanted to learn.