Beauty Meets Mayonnaise

We’ve got fresh eggs here on the farm, and I love ‘em. There is nothing like them. Not cage free. Not vegetarian fed. Nope. There is no comparison to a pastured egg.

What is a pastured egg?

It’s an egg laid by a chicken who is free to roam on pasture instead of being raised in confinement.

You know, one of these…

A chicken who likes to jump up on the patio table and say hello to you in the morning through the window. Like that.

Yours might not be allowed on the patio. If so, I applaud you. You have a poop-less deck.

I wish I could say the same.

The only thing that has bugged me about fresh eggs is that darn shell peeling of a hard boiled one. If it’s been around this earth less than 2 weeks, there ain’t no peeling that mother without BIG chunks coming off with it. Until…

I met Danielle at More Than Four Walls who showed me I could effortlessly peel my very own day old egg using her salt water method.

Oh, yes. Salt.

Here’s her method:

Dump some salt into a saucepan filled with water. Bring to a boil. Add fresh eggs. Boil for 12 minutes. Rinse with cold water and then stick in a bowl of ice water until cooled.

That’s it folks. The most beautiful peeled eggs are the result.

That’s right. There’s going to be a round of egg salad sandwiches here tonight.

Look out you big basket of beauties. You’re about to meet some homemade mayonnaise.

I shared this page at:

Real Food 101, Traditional Tuesdays

Real Food Wednesdays

Simple Lives Thursday

This entry was posted in Food, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Beauty Meets Mayonnaise

1. Danielle says:

Thank you for the mention! Love your photos. I had to to laugh because while we do have a poop-less deck we do not have a poop-less picnic table. That would be the one thing I do not like about “the girls” they seem to love the picnic table.

Danielle!!!! You are my forever friend. I could just kiss you. We have had so many hard boiled eggs since I discovered this trick. So, many in fact, the egg basket is now empty. And let me tell you…it was FULL before. Where in the world did you learn that trick? You probably have already noticed this, but there have been a huge number of people who have repinned my pin on Pinterest.

I’m so sorry about your picnic table. What is it about our stuff they like so much? My kids keep scheming to try to figure out how to keep them off the deck. The latest thought is a ‘scat mat’; it gives off an electrical shock. Hmmm. Seems like we’d need a whole lot of those. Well, if you come up with a solution PLEASE pass it along.

Thanks for visiting.

3. Emily says:

I will definitely have to try this as I have resorted to buying eggs at the store (gasp!) when I want to make deviled eggs. How much salt do you add?

4. Emily says:

One more question – Do you have any problem with the eggs cracking when you put them in the boiling water? I have always put the eggs in when the water is still cold and then brought it to a boil.

Emily,
    I have done the same thing until now. I added approx. 2 Tablespoons. I used some cheapy salt I had on hand…I didn’t want to use my expensive sea salt.

Emily,
    I’ve done this 3 times now and have only had one egg crack open a little. Maybe the salt makes the difference. I don’t know. Come back and let us know how it went. Also, my friend Stephanie mentioned she steams her fresh eggs. She puts the eggs in a vegetable steamer basket and steams them for 20-25 minutes. I don’t have a steamer so I haven’t tried this yet. Although, my friend Dawna says I might be able to get away with using a metal strainer instead. I’ll experiment and let you know.

7. Emily says:

I will have to wait until egg production comes up. Right now we eat them scrambled about as fast as the chickens are laying. We want to start over with chicks this spring but aren’t sure what to do with the 5 two year old chickens we currently have. They never fully got over their feather-plucking issues and are not laying as much as before. Do you know of anyone who could show us how to harvest our chickens sometime this spring? (hint, hint)

Why, yes I do in fact know someone who will be harvesting some chickens by late Spring, I hope. R-Man and I would like to harvest before summer begins this year because like Music Man say, “I want to have my summer back!”

I’ll keep you in the loop as to when that will be occurring. You could just bring both chickens here, if you like. Do some research for yourselves though. Travelling with birds stresses them out and might affect the taste.

9. Emily says:

Thanks for the offer! I have looked at several videos showing the process, just would like some hands-on training the first time around. We have 4 that are dual purpose but I am not sure what to do about our white leghorn. She is very scrawny and I don’t know if she is worth eating. BTW – I am VERY impressed with your goat berry composting. We need to do something about the pile left by our chickens and rabbit.

10. I always thought it was the quick ice water because it would make the membrane shrink? I sometimes add salt too, maybe it is the salt? Hmmm, maybe it’s a home school Science Experiment! Brilliant idea!

You know, I’ve always used the ice water too, but when we got chickens of our own, those fresh eggs just didn’t cooperate.