Imposter Creme Brulee

As many of you know, I am plagued by candida. Okay, plagued is a bit harsh. Lately though, it feels like a plague. I’m on Week 3 of absolutely, positively NO grains.

“What’s the big deal, Kathleen? I thought you were grain free anyway.”

Mostly. As I’ve gotten healthier and been given the okay from the Doc to start introducing grains back into my diet, I have tried to limit them, but I have not been completely grain free.

Well, candida roared its ugly head again and I’m back to the super restricted, can’t eat ANYTHING diet again.  I’m not sad about it at all. <heavy sarcasm>

The one grain that I am super missing right now is corn or more precisely, my beloved tortilla chips. The brand is Juanita’s and can I just say, they are beyond words of description. How does one describe perfection? They are a sublime blend of salty and crispy (not to be confused with crunchy). When you bite into one, it’s almost like biting into a crisp croissant. And the best part is they are just made down the road from my home town.

Okay, when I say down the road, it might be a bit farther than you imagined. But still it’s only 50 something miles. Only one hour’s drive. See? That’s close.

Why do I miss them so? Because guacamole just isn’t the same without them.

Ahem. Sorry. I have greatly digressed from Imposter Creme Brulee, the topic at hand.

Right. That brings me to why I’ve fallen in temporary love with my dairy, gluten, and sugar free Vanilla Custard.

I’m hungry!

That’s right. I’ve been sick for almost 2 weeks and have not had the energy to ‘make’ anything. And when you’re eating on this horrid diet, if you don’t make it… you ain’t eatin’. I’ve lived on fried eggs, almonds, strawberries, coconut, salad and plain yogurt for too long.

So, today was the day to work up some gumption and energy and make something wonderful. Along with some yummy granola, I whipped up some custard.

I love custard. My favorite is Creme Brulee. Mmmm.

But how does one go about making a dairy, gluten and sugar free dish of scrumptiousness. A year ago, I would have said it was impossible. Can’t be done. But then I would have have be so wrong. Because today a beautiful creation was made in my very own kitchen. Oh, yes I did eat two ramekins of this before dinner time.

Vanilla Custard (Dairy, Gluten and Sugar Free)

• 3 eggs
  • 2 cups coconut milk (almond would work too)
  • 1/3 cup xylitol (1/3 sugar if not going sugar free)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a smallish size bowl, wisk all the ingredients together. The cinnamon and nutmeg will appear to ‘float’ on the top. No worries.

Pour into four ungreased 8oz *ramekins. Sprinkle with cinnamon for garnishment.

Take a 13×9 casserole dish and put in all ramekins. Now fill the casserole dish with 3/4 inch of HOT water. Stick the whole thing in the oven uncovered. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of one of the custards comes out clean.

Take ramekins out of the casserole dish and place on a cooling rack. Eat warm or refrigerate after cooling. Makes 4 servings.

*I haven’t tried this yet, but I bet you could pour your custard into a pie plate and have the same results. Just don’t think I have a casserole dish big enough to hold the pie plate.

My favorite part of this custard is its Creme Brulee crusty effect. If you’ve never had the pleasure of eating the real stuff, you wouldn’t know that the best part of it is the carmelized sugary crust on top. You literally have to push through the crispy (there’s a theme here) layer of goodness to get to the creamy center.

For some reason, the cinnamon and nutmeg did a funky thing. Part of it sank to the bottom of the dish and part of it rose to the top making a bit of a crispy faux sugary delight. Oh, yes. This made me immensely happy.

And the part that sank to the bottom? Divine!! It was a cinnamony crust.

Well, that’s it. I hope you make yourself some of this wonderful treat. By the way, I used some homemade coconut milk of which I will show you how to make yourself soon, but I think you could use the canned stuff just fine.

I shared this at: Allergy-Free Wednesdays

This entry was posted in Food, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Imposter Creme Brulee

1. Misty says:

I must make this later today! Do you think the coconut milk in the carton would work just as well instead of the canned? Maybe I’ll just try it with the almond milk, as its already vanilla flavored…

Misty, I bet the cartoned coconut milk will work just fine. When I made mine homemade, I just made sure I added some of the fat that had floated to the top of the coconut milk jar. I wanted to make sure it was really creamy. Mmm. It makes a great breakfast, by the way.

3. Danielle says:

Oh my! Been waiting for this one. One of my favorites too!!!!!

Danielle,
    I thought of you the ENTIRE time I made this. :-) It’s good friend. Now, my mind is racing with new flavors. If I was home tonight, I would definitely be making a Mexican Coffee Custard. Mmmm.

5. Danielle says:

Oh my goodness! That makes me smile! Mexican coffee?? Brilliant!

6. ~Misty says:

I tried with the almond milk and it was good tasting (loved the cinnamon in it) but the texture didn’t win me over, I think I’ll go with the canned coconut milk next time, and maybe just use the yolks and not the whole egg, creme brulee is just one of those things not to skimp on, it needs all that healthy fat to be creamy and delicious!

I’m sorry it wasn’t wonderful. I’m wondering if you added some butter to the almond milk if it would help with the texture. Mmm. Definitely need lots of fat. Today, I have four kinds of custards in the oven: Carmel, Chocolate Carmel, Coffee Carmel, and Amaretto Carmel. I can’t wait to see how they turned out. I found myself dreaming of custard last night. Curiously, my dreams where about making a coconut custard and I didn’t make a single one of those. Tomorrow!

Yeah, I was thinking the cinnamon with some coffee would be so delicious. I’ll let you know when it comes out of the oven.

9. Danielle says:

Oh my gosh!!! You two are the worst/best! I will definitely be trying some this weekend!

10. Rachel says:

Wow! I can’t wait to try this. I’m going to make granola this week too. Becky made your recipe and let me taste it. Mmmm…

Rachel, I’m so glad you liked the granola. Becky is so nice! I think you’ll have the best results with the custard using canned coconut.

12. Pat says:

I made the creme brûlée last night and had it warm. Absolutely delicious! Had it cold today and it was just as delicious. Very hard not have more than one serving ;). Mexican coffee custard? Where do I find the recipe for that? Sound yummy!

13. Joan Porter says:

You’re so brave to make creme brule from scratch. It’s my favorite too. I think it’s time for me to venture forth and try doing it myself. You inspire me!

Pat,
    I’m so glad you liked your yummy custard!! And yes, it’s very difficult to stick to eating just ramekin at a time. I’ve not been successful at all. :-) Yes, Mexican Coffee seemed like a delicious idea. I haven’t come up with a recipe yet. I’m still experimenting, so I’ll let you know when I come finally come up with something tasty. I did try it with a splash of almond oil to make an Ameretto flavored custard. It was so good.

Thanks, Mom! You know, I don’t feel very brave…hungry at times, but not so much brave. :-) It’s amazing what hunger will drive you to do. Let me know what you think, if you do venture out, or if you find something that works better.

16. This creme brulee looks amazing and so much healthier than the traditional version!Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! In order to be featured, please link back to AFW. Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

Be Well!

Thanks, Laura. I’m so sorry there is not link to Allergy-Free Wednesday…I don’t know what happened.

18. Jen says:

I just sat on my couch . . . at dinner time . . . not eating dinner . . . but eating creme brûlée. (Don’t worry, I’ll have more after dinner!) I was in creme brûlée heaven and it was totally legal!!! What a thrill. :) My first “dessert” in over a week, since starting the candida diet. What took me so long?!

I have to say, mine was a little “eggy” on the bottom and I’m not sure if that’s because it needed to be baked longer (it already baked much longer than the recipe allowed, as I’m still trying to figure out my new oven) . . . or if it was something else. The recipe called for coconut milk in a can. Is that any different than coconut milk in a carton? Cause that’s what I used. Maybe I just didn’t blend it well enough? Cause it was like the heaviness of the egg settled to the bottom. It was still tasty though, and for a dessert starved individual, I was definitely in creme brûlée heaven! And YES, this WOULD be a yummy breakfast item, as I read in another comment post. And I was just trying to think of something to have for breakfast other than eggs in all the various forms I make them in every single day. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE eggs and am thrilled I get to eat them, but every single day can get a little monotonous. Funny though, that eggs are a main ingredient in this “alternative to eggs” breakfast. ;)

Jen,
    I’m so excited that you got to eat dessert for dinner! Woo. Hoo.

I know what you mean about the ‘eggy’ consistency. Misty found the same with almond milk, and mine was a bit of the same with my homemade coconut milk (blended coconut flakes in water). I’m wondering if canned coconut milk (Thai Kitchen is good) would provide more of a creamy texture. I’ll test it out and let you know. Custard sounds good right now.

20. ~Misty says:

I made it this week with canned coconut milk and got better results, not as creamy as I would love but much better than with the almond milk. I also got more of the ‘crust’ on top than I did with the almond milk and that was just plain delightful!

Misty,
    I know, that crust is just delish. I’m excited to try this with the canned coconut milk. You know, if you wanted a creamier texture, I think Cashew milk might do it. Spunky Coconut makes it all the time and from what I can tell, it’s got a higher fat content, creating a creamy ice cream, pudding, etc.

But then again, it may not be possible to have a creamy custard sans cow’s milk.

22. Jen says:

I just researched coconut milk and learned two notable things.

#1 – Coconut milk in a carton (sometimes referred to as coconut “beverage”) is considered alternative to milk, to use with cereal, etc. It has added “stuff”, like water and guar gum. Coconut milk in a can is strictly milk from the coconut, so more potent and nothing added. Hence why is is probably better for Impostor Creme Brûlée.

#2 – Many canned foods contain harmful BPA’s, a chemical leached from the can that can cause low estrogen levels (something I have, along with all my other hormones!). There are two brands of coconut milk (per an article I read) that do not contain BPA’s. Native Forest, which can be purchased at Amazon if not at a local store, and Arroy-D, which is imported from Thailand.

Here’s the link to the article. http://chriskresser.com/3-reasons-why-coconut-milk-may-not-be-your-friend

23. Nicole says:

We must be soul mates. I am eating Juantia’s chips as I read this post. Perfection. Best chips I have EVER had, well except homemade right out of the fryer. This recipe sounds fantastic! I wonder if agave would work, or if it would “Water” it down. Thanks for the recipe!