Go Ahead, Prettify Yourself

Who is that headless woman?

Today I’m veering away a bit from my normal food/homesteading topics.  I’ve been enjoying participating in a few fun linky parties (check out Homestead Barn Hop, or Traditional Tuesdays) where I and a host of other fabulous blog authors link posts about a certain topic.

I’ve loved making new friends with other bloggers and have learned so much. One such blog I found through my friend (okay, you know that I used the term friend loosely here since I’ve never really actually talked to this gal), Emily of Jones Design Company.  It’s called What I Wore Wednesday and it’s hosted by Lindsey of the Pleated Poppy.

You have to jump on over there and take a look. It’s a linky party where regular women (many of them mommies) show off what they wore that day. I know. I know. You’re thinking, “Why do I care?”

You care because sometimes we all get into a frumpy look. You know, the look that involves sweats or yoga pants and a pony tail. And sometimes we need a little help from our friends to inspire us out of the frump. Okay, well let’s just say, I needed some help. Some days it’s just easier to stay in my ‘barn clothes’ because really, who is going to see me?

But I have found when I take the time to put on some make-up, do my hair neatly (as best you can with frizzy curly hair) and put on an outfit (definition: clothing that you plan to wear together, NOT just something you grab out of the drawer), I feel so much better when I pass by that mirror in the hallway.

Let’s face it, I’m not out to impress anyone with my fabulous good looks <tongue in cheek>, but when I’m depressed about the amount of rain falling from the sky, which is often around here, my lack of productivity, my poor parenting skills that day or whatever, looking into the mirror and liking what I see (mostly) makes me feel better.

Or at least, it’s not a frightening, more disheartening experience. I mean, come on. How can it be good for your psyche to run away screaming from the mirror? Doesn’t seem like a good thing to me.

And you know it’s true for you too, my friend. There’s just something about making a little effort to spruce up one’s self.

Soooo…all that to say. Since my eyes are usually focused on goats, children, homeschooling and sugar free food, I have seemed to have lost my ability to put an outfit together. Hence, I made my way over to What I Wore Wednesday to be inspired. And inspiration I did find.

And as you saw above, I came up with a fun outfit.

Please disregard the phone cord. Oops.

I’ve been loving to wear flowers lately, of which was influenced by my actual friend, Kylene of Miss Moss Demi-Millenery. I love how a flower can instantly prettify your duds .  I found this one at Anne Taylor Loft on sale. You can wear it in your hair too. Let’s just say it makes me smile.

Now, I don’t know if this outfit would be considered stylish or even cute, but my eyes gave me a thumbs up as I sauntered by that dreadful mirror. And that’s all I’m after folks.

Okay. Fine. I’ll show your my frizzy head. Keeping it real, friends.

And Dad, I now know why you kept encouraging me to, "Put your shoulders back."

Well, I hope you aren’t turned off by all the photos of me. It feels a bit weird to be the center of my pictures this time, but I do hope I’ve infected you with a desire to go put on something pretty. Just do it. Your special someone will like it.

Feel free to give me any stylish pointers. I can take it.

I shared this on:

Works for Me Wednesdays, Women Living Well,

This entry was posted in Inspiring, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Go Ahead, Prettify Yourself

1. Dad says:

Kathleen, you look fantastic. Yes, I’m the Dad and a man, but that should count for at least one good comment about how you look. Love, ya.

Dad, that counts for a lot! 🙂

3. Dawna says:

You look great! and your hair is NOT frizzy !

Dawna,
    Aw. Thanks.:-)

5. Lisa says:

You look beautiful and offer a good dose of inspiration! Thanks!

Thanks for dropping by, Lisa. Oh, I’m so glad you feel inspired…that is always my aim. By the way, your blog looks amazing!

7. Becky says:

I agree with everyone’s comments above. I was also going to add that your hair is not frizzy, but Dawna beat me to it. I love your curls. I wish my waves would develop more curls. Keep being an inspiration to those of us who keep up with your blogging. 🙂

8. Connie says:

Why. Are. You. So. Dang. CUTE??? (Fun blog. AND it’s good for you to be the center of attention sometimes!)

9. Connie S. says:

Oh it is so easy to forget about ourselves, isn’t it? A lady that really inspired me to think about the way I present myself to my family and others is Missus Smarty Pants. She has a podcast that I used to listen to while working all those hours in the barn next door. She was just so inspiring, had great practical style ideas, and wanted all women to feel good about the way they looked by just putting a few minutes of thought into what they pulled over their heads. I’m going to go check out What I Wore Wednesday. That sounds fun 🙂

10. Jen says:

This is funny, cause the past two days I, too, have been inspired to prettify! I have my “one” pair of sweats I got in January that are actually long enough for my legs . . . and I pretty much wear them daily! Around the house anyway. I put on “jeans” to go to the store or do errands or be in the presence of other people. But my new candida cleanse has allowed me to fit into my favorite way cute jeans (barely!), so I enjoyed stepping it up a notch the past couple of days and prettifying more when going out. (I still came home and put the sweats on! But hair and makeup was done!)

Jen,
    I LOVE a great pair of comfy sweats or yoga pants! Unlike you though, mine are all pretty gross looking. I gotta remember when I get a new pair to NOT go out in the garden or barn with them. 🙂 By the way, I loved your email. I want to respond in kind, but have been so busy with other stuff.

Connie,
    I’ve heard of Missus Smarty Pants. I’ll have to go look her up.

Connie,
    Again, I knew there was a reason you were my friend.

And thanks everyone for your sweet comments about my hair. I love you.

14. ~Misty says:

I love how doing my hair and make-up and getting dressed in nicer clothes makes me feel every day, even if I’m just hanging out at home with my 2 year old. Although I’ve been really sick this week with a terrible cold and the best I could do was straighten my hair and put on mascara, after that I had to take a nap. The nice thing too is that when a friend called and needed a ride for her son all I had to do was throw on some clothes (just can’t go out in sweat pants) and go, it just feels good to be ready for whatever the day may bring cause you just never know and I want to be ready for it!

15. ~Misty says:

Oh by the way I LOVE the flower, and your hair doesn’t look frizzy at all!

16. Rachel says:

You look great. Always have…always will. Way to put teal and raspberry together! Looks fantastic!

Aw, Rach…you’re so sweet.